The following links may be useful to students seeking topics about financial aid.
Disclaimer: These links take you to outside of the ECSI site. ECSI is not responsible for the content or accuracy of the information presented on other sites.
These resources are about loans and grants. They also provide varying levels of background information.
- Student Gateway to the U.S. government Students.gov
- Department of Education's Guide to Defaulted Student Loans
- Department of Education's The Student Guide.
- Department of Education's Direct Loan Web site
- Department of Education's document on Managing the Price of College
- Financial Aid for Students
- The Financial Aid Information Page is a great place to start.
- Financial aid calculator
- Search for financial aid Through the Web
- Peterson's Education & Career Center
Looking for a college or university? Try these sites.
These links point to regulation changes that may apply to you depending on the type of loan that you have.
- Changes to Health Profession and Nursing Programs can be found on the Health Resources and Services Administration site.
- If you are looking for a teacher cancellation, check out the Low-income schools which qualify Perkins Teacher Cancellations.
- If you are looking for a public defender cancellation, check out the Public Defender Organizations which qualify Perkins Public Defender Cancellations.
Can you take a deduction for the interest you paid on student loans? These site will help you to find the information you need. (Documents labeled "PDF" require the Acrobat Plug-in.)
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Main Site
- Tax Information for Students
- Tax Benefits for Higher Education (Publication 970) (PDF)
- IRS Form 8863 - Education Credits (PDF)
- IRS Notice 97-60
- Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (PDF)
- Tax Trails is a service of the IRS that helps filers determine tax consequences. The two Tax Trails below deal with education expenses, credits and interest deductions.
- IRS FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)