Request for Deferment of SAE Foundation Loans
We recommend that you read your promissory note carefully in order to become familiar with a number of features,
duties, and, more specifically, what is and is not available relating to a deferment or cancellation before
completing this form.
Refer to the specific section on the back side of this form
MAIL FORM TO:
P.O. Box 1278
Wexford, PA 15090
_____ Full - Time student Section A
_____ At least half - time student Section A
_____ A volunteer in the Peace Corps or Domestic volunteer act of 1973 Section B
_____ A full - time member/officer of U.S. Armed Forces or in the U.S. Public Health Service (Loan Prior 7/1/93) Section C
_____ A member of the Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Corp Section D
_____ Graduate / Fellowship Section E
Section 2 Certification Period
Deferment Starting Date_________________________________ Ending Date___________________________________
Section 3 Borrower Signature
I declare that the information above is true and correct. I further declare that I will notify my lender or Heartland ECSI immediately upon any change in my status.
Signature of borrower__________________________________ Date____________ Day Phone ____________ Evening Phone___________
Section 4 Certification by School / Agency / Institution
I certify that the information stated above is true and correct.
Name of School /Service unit / Employ____________________________________________________ School_______________________
City______________________________________________ State___________ Zip________________ Phone ______________________
Signature of Authorized official________________________________________________________________________________
Defer. Rev. 10-99 ECSI
INVALID WITHOUT OFFICIAL SEAL, STAMP OR LETTERHEAD
FOR INSTITUTIONAL USE ONLY
Approved_____ Disapproved_____ Official Name________________________________________ Date__________________
Please return this form within the next (10) days to claim exemption of payment and eliminate past due notice. This form will be returned to the borrower if it is incomplete.
- Student - Full time / Half -time - A borrower may defer repayment of an SAE Foundation Loan if he or she is enrolled at least halftime in a eligible institution. Interest will accrue during the deferment. To receive a deferment based on at least half-time enrollment, also called an in-school deferment, the student must be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible institution of higher education or a comparable institution outside the United States approved by the SAE Foundation for deferment purposes. If a borrower is attending a school that ceases to qualify as an institution of higher education, the borrower's deferment ends on the date the school ceases to qualify. A regular student is one who is enrolled for the purpose of obtaining a degree or certificate. If the borrower is attending at least half time as a regular student for a full academic year and intends to do so in the next academic year, he or she is entitled to a deferment for 12 months.
- Volunteer Peace Corps or Domestic Volunteer Act of 1973 - A borrower may defer repayment for up to three years and interest will accrue while he or she is a Peace Corps volunteer, a volunteer under Title I, Part A of the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973 (ACTION programs), or a full-time volunteer in service for a tax-exempt organization that the SAE Foundation has determined is comparable to Peace Corps or ACTION service. A borrower is considered to be providing service comparable to Peace Corps or ACTIONS service if he or she meets all of the following five criteria: 1) The borrower serves in an organization that is exempt from taxation under the provision of Section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954. 2) The borrower provides service to low-income person and their communities to assist them in eliminating poverty and poverty related human, social, and environmental conditions. 3) The borrower does not receive compensation that exceeds the rate prescribed under Section 6 of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (the federal minimum wage), except that the tax-exempt organization may provide the volunteer with health, retirement, and other fringe benefits that are substantially equivalent to the benefits offered to other employees of the organization. 4) The borrower, as part of his or her duties, does not give religious instruction, conduct worship service, engage in religious proselytizing, or engage in fund raising to support religious activities. 5) The borrower has agreed to serve on a full-time basis for a term of at least one year.
- Full time member of Armed Forces - A borrower may defer repayment for up to three years and interest will accrue while he or she is a member of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard, a member of the National Guard or the Reserves serving a period of full-time active duty in the armed forces, or an officer in the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service.
- A member of oceanic and atmospheric administration corp. - A borrower my defer repayment for up to three years and interest will accrue while he or she is on full-time active duty as a member of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Corps.
- Graduate / Fellowship - A borrower enrolled and in attendance as a regular student in a course of study that is part of a graduate/ fellowship program approved by the SAE Foundation may defer payments. A borrower is engaged in graduate or postgraduate fellowship-supported study such as a Fulbright grant outside the United States. Interest continues to accrue during the deferment period.